Fairview Cemetery began serving Hyde Park as a burial ground in 1893.
Located adjacent to Mother Brook with view towards the Blue Hills, Fairview Cemetery began serving Hyde Park as a burial ground in 1893. Initially, the primary focus was on the development of circulation systems and lots. Landscape treatment was left primarily to lot owners. Initial development followed the precepts of the Lawn-Park Cemetery Movement of the time.
As is characteristic of this style, curved roads wind through expanses of lawn, interrupted by few trees or shrubs, creating a park-like landscape. After Fairview was acquired by the City of Boston with the annexation of Hyde Park in 1912, the cemetery saw increased development and new buildings.
Fairview contains the graves of many significant people of the area, including:
- James Monroe Trotter, the U.S Army's first Black commissioned officer in the Civil War
- William Monroe Trotter (son of James Monroe Trotter), newspaper editor, real estate businessman, and activist for African-American civil rights
- Rebecca Lee Crumpler, M.D., the first Black woman to become a doctor of medicine in the United States
- Brigadier General Edward Beebe Carrington, the frontier fighter and historian of Washington's military strategy
- Hippolitus Fiske and Charles Jenney, two founders of Hyde Park, and
- John Joseph Enneking, the American impressionist painter.
- 45 Fairview Drive
Boston, MA 02136
ScheduleApril - September: Gates open 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.; October - March: Gates open 7:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.Office hoursMonday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Saturdays: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.