Boston Fire Cadets
Learn about Boston Fire Department's new Fire Cadet Program.
What is it?
The City of Boston’s Fire Cadet Program is a paid, benefitted, civilian position within the Boston Fire Department. This program is a 2 year commitment for those with interest in pursuing a career as a firefighter. Cadets get classroom training and cooperative education. Additionally, they receive specific on-the-job training and exposure to firefighting tools and apparatuses. This opportunity develops and refines qualities like leadership, teamwork, and civic duty. It also emphasizes training and development for health and fitness as tactical athletes.
A Cadet may receive preference on the list of eligible candidates appointed to an Academy Class if they meet the requirements.
- Completion of two years, without interruption,
- Passing the civil service firefighter exam
- Passing the internal exams including, but not limited to, CPR Training, EMT Training, and Firefighter I Training and maintaining a standard for fitness through scheduled evaluations
During the two years, Cadets will become familiar with the daily operations and functions of the department and culture of work through temporary assignments and projects throughout each division.
Have questions? Contact:
Boston Fire Human Resources
Apply for the Program
- Be between the ages of 18-25 before the first date of employment (March 2023)
- Have a Highschool diploma or equivalency certificate
- Be a current resident of the City of Boston and have maintained residency for the last three (3) years
- Have a valid Massachusetts Drivers License and a good driving record
How to Apply
During an open application period, register and apply on the City of Boston’s career portal.
All applications will be reviewed
- initial phone/interview screening
Selected candidates still within the process will be:
- Invited to a formal interview
- Submit to a background investigation
- Drug screening
- Medical evaluation including vision and hearing
- Psychological test
- Fitness evaluation test
- Salaried position with opportunities for potential overtime
- Dental and Health benefits
- Annual vacation and sick leave