We grant and regulate various types of alcohol and food licenses for restaurants, nightclubs, and other establishments in Boston. We also hold hearings on violations and license applications. Learn more about the Licensing Board.
- Service Dog Policy: Licensees may post this policy at their establishments. Details regarding service and assistance animals may be found on the Mass.gov website.
- Alcohol Petition Online Form: For alcohol-related petitions and transactions, submit your application through the Licensing Board's new online form. You may email email@example.com with questions. Please note: Do not submit renewal applications on this form.
- Read the Advisory issued on March 2, 2023, regarding the Closed Captioning Ordinance for public facing televisions at licensed establishments.
- Read the Advisory issued on March 17, 2023, regarding drink spiking in nightlife establishments. This is an update to the previously issued Advisory from November 22, 2021.
1 City Hall Square
Room 809Boston, MA 02201-2035
Office hours by AppointmentMonday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
2023 license renewals
If your licensed premise has any seats, the Inspectional Services Department (ISD) is requiring all licensees to get a valid Inspection Certificate. Invoices are mailed and emailed for the building permits two months before the expiration date.
If you need an invoice or to schedule an inspection, please contact your building inspector. There is a list online of all the inspectors' contact information, including phone and email. The best time to schedule an appointment for inspection is at 1010 Mass. Avenue (5th floor) at 8 - 9 a.m. and 3 - 4 p.m. when the inspectors are in the office. Once your inspection has passed, send an email to the following people and they can send you a scanned copy of the updated Certificate: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please note: To completely submit your renewal application, you will be required to submit an application on the below application links and also submit payment online.
- Pay for your Alcohol, Package Store, Common Victualler, and Entertainment licenses online. The license number (for example, LB-###### or CAL-######) is located at the top right of your license or renewal application. Verify the total amount before paying! If submitting back-to-back payments, due to browser issues, a previous payment fee may appear again, you can select "remove fee" to remove the duplicate payment.
|License Type (Click for instructions)||Renewal Period||Online Renewal Form||Contact Email|
|Common Victualler (No Alcohol) 2023||October 1, 2022 - October 31, 2022 (Late fee: Double current bill)||RenewCV@boston.gov|
|Lodging House 2022-2023||
April 1, 2022 - April 30, 2022 (Late fee: $10/month)
|Lodging House 2023-2024||
April 1, 2023 - April 30, 2023 (Late fee: $10/month)
Apply for or make changes to a license
Licensing Board hearings are typically held during the first and last week of the month at either 10 a.m. or 1 p.m. You may contact the Board to verify the upcoming hearing dates at LicensingBoard@boston.gov.
- Violation hearings: Tuesdays
- Transactional (application) hearings: Wednesdays
- Voting hearings: Thursdays
Upcoming Hearing Dates
- January 24 (Violation)
- January 25 (Transactional)
- January 26 (Voting)
- January 31 (Violation)
- February 1 (Transactional)
- February 2 (Voting)
- February 14 (Violation)
- February 15 (Transactional)
- February 16 (Voting)
- March 7 (Violation)
- March 8 (Transactional)
- March 9 (Voting)
- March 28 (Violation)
- March 29 (Transactional)
- March 30 (Voting)
Hearings and MeetingsUpcoming Hearings
Licensing Board information
The Licensing Board grants and regulates various types of alcohol and food licenses for restaurants, nightclubs, and other establishments in Boston.Licensing Board information