- Masks (May 14, 2021): The Board is aware of the recent announcement by the CDC that individuals who are fully vaccinated do not have to wear masks when outside. Please note: The guidance and mask mandate from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has not changed. At this time, patrons must wear masks except when seated and eating and drinking, regardless of whether they are indoors or outdoors.
- Reopening Phase 4 advisory: Beginning, April 30, 2021, the gathering limit for events has increased to 100 people inside and 150 people outside. There is a still a 90-minute time limit on dining and a six-person-per-table maximum. On June 19, the table maximum will increase to 10 persons per table and food service will no longer required with alcohol service. Read the advisory.
- Commencements and graduations: The Licensing Board issued an advisory regarding commencement and graduations. Read the advisory. You can submit a COVID-19 safety plan online.
- Alcohol Petition online form: For alcohol-related petitions and transactions, submit your application through the Licensing Board's new online form. You may email email@example.com with questions.
- 2021 Outdoor Dining: You can now apply for the 2021 single-season Outdoor Dining program, which will begin on March 22, 2021 (previously April 1, 2021). Applications may be submitted on a rolling basis. Please visit our 2021 Outdoor Dining website for key dates, guidance, common questions, and a link to the application.
About the Licensing Board
We grant and regulate various types of alcohol and food licenses for restaurants, nightclubs, and other establishments in Boston. We also hold hearings on violations and license applications. Learn more about the Licensing Board.
Do you want to apply for an Entertainment license or Special Events permit? Contact the Entertainment Licensing Division.
If you would like to apply for a Cannabis-related license, visit the Cannabis Board page.
Public comment period available for draft amendment to Boston Cannabis Board rules and regulations
Outdoor dining will begin in Boston on April 1
Hearings and MeetingsHearings and Meetings
Licensing Board information
The Licensing Board grants and regulates various types of alcohol and food licenses for restaurants, nightclubs, and other establishments in Boston.Licensing Board information