5 Days of Chess
JP Chess is offering a series of four free chess workshops, followed by a tournament on City Hall Plaza.
This summer JP Chess is offering four free chess workshops and a free chess tournament at City Hall Plaza funded by a grant from the Mayor's Office of Arts and Culture. A US Chess Federation titled player will guide you at each workshop covering elements of the opening, the middle game and endgame. Each workshop starts at 2 p.m. and lasts 1 to 1.5 hours followed by casual chess until 5 p.m. Then, once you've improved your chess, enter the blitz tournament in early August.
The workshops and tournament will be held on the following dates:
- Unfamiliar Waters (Sunday, July 2 at 2 p.m.)
- Pawn Structure, the Key to Planning in Chess (Sunday, July 9 at 2 p.m.)
- The Battle of Knights and Bishops (Sunday, July 16 at 2 p.m.)
- Endgame Basics - Rook and Pawn (Sunday, July 23 at 2 p.m.)
- Tournament (Sunday, August 6 from 2 - 5 p.m.)