Bay State Road/Back Bay West Area Architectural Conservation District
COVID-19 UPDATE: Applications may be submitted by email with a hard copy and check for the application mailed to Environment Department, Room 709, Boston City Hall, 1 City Hall Square, Boston, MA 02201.
The Bay State Road/Back Bay West Area Architectural Conservation District Commission (BSRACDC) meets the second Tuesday of each month to review proposed exterior design changes and alterations. To apply as a commissioner, please see details about nomination in the district's Study Report and then check the commission information section at the bottom of this page. If you see an "apply online" button, we have an opening on the commission and you're able to apply for it.
Design Review Process
All proposed exterior work including roofs that is (or will be) visible from any public way is subject to the review of the BBSRACDC. You must submit a Design Approval Application to the Commission and it must be approved by the Commission before beginning any exterior work subject to Commission review.
- To save time and costs, contact staff early in the planning process to determine project compliance with guidelines.
- Review all instructions and documentation requirements before submitting your application to ensure it is complete. Only complete applications will be added to a public hearing agenda.
- Submit your application well in advance of a filing deadline in case it is marked incomplete and additional or revised information is needed.
- Staff is not available to review applications for completeness immediately upon submittal.
- Do not begin any work, or buy materials until after you have received confirmation your project has been approved.
The Bay State Road/Back Bay West area was created during the 19th century as part of the large-scale land reclamation project that created the Back Bay. The first blocks were laid out in 1889, with most development between 1895 and 1899. Typical Bay State Road buildings exhibit architectural revival styles popular during the late 19th century.
For further historical background please see Bay State Road Back Bay West Architectural Conservation District Study Report.
More resourcesMore resources
- BSR/BBW Agenda December 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda November 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda October 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda September 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda August 2019 (Unavailable)
- BSR/BBW Agenda July 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda June 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda May 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda April 2019 (Unavailable)
- BSR/BBW Agenda March 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda February 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda January 2019
- BSR/BBW Agenda December 2018 (Unavailable)
- BSR/BBW Agenda November 2018 (Unavailable)
- BSR/BBW Agenda October 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda September 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda August 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda July 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda June 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda May 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda April 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda March 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda February 2018
- BSR/BBW Agenda January 2018
2020 BSR/BBW meeting minutes
- September 2020
- March 2020
2019 BSR/BBW meeting minutes
2019 BBW/BSR recordings