South Market Building Study Report
Designed by Alexander Parris in consultation with Asher Benjamin, South Market (1825-1826) is the southernmost range of stores in a complex of three detached granite blocks. In the late 1820s, some Bostonians began to describe the three blocks collectively as “Quincy’s Market” and later “Quincy Market,” though in contemporary usage, the term Quincy Market tends to be reserved for the central Faneuil Hall Market building.
The complex constitutes one of the most impressive and large-scaled market complexes built in the United States during the first half of the 19th century. The blocks are significant as early examples of the Greek Revival style and monumental granite construction in Boston, encompassing Boston’s first substantial civic improvement project following its incorporation as a city in 1822. They are also significant for their association with influential early 19th-century architects.
Recognition of South Market’s historic and architectural significance accelerated during the urban renewal era of the 1960s and early 1970s, when local, regional, and national organizations mobilized to ensure preservation of the complex in a restoration and adaptive reuse project that was completed to national acclaim. The South Market Building retains integrity of location, setting, design, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association.
There are two ways to provide feedback on this potential landmark designation:
- Written feedback can be provided by visiting this link: feedback form.
- The study report will be discussed at a public hearing on September 28, 2021. Members of the public are invited to attend this hearing and provide comments there as well. Please look for the meeting notice in the public notices section of our website.